Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rulaava Bhakri ( Spicy Semolina Dosa)


This is the dosa i hated the most all my life until my marriage. When I was doing my Engineering at my Aunt's place she would make this dosa once in a fortnight and I couldn't tell her that I hated this dosa. I used to eat only half and when nobody's around slowly flip the dosa under the book and give it to my friend who used to yearn for homely food. Finally I was caught red handed when i forgot the book at my study table and my aunt saw ants all over my book to see dosas inside!! ;))

Infact I used to tell my amma that i will totally ban this dosa after marriage. Gosh!!!! This is my hubby's favourite and he wouldn't mind having it everyday for breakfast and now my daughter's too. I had to take back my words and nobody believes when i say that I have started liking this dosa now... Really strange!!! Ultimately we are ready to do anything for our family!!! Now i don't have any particular dislikes as such. Now thats the part of growing up!!!

There are many variations to this basic batter like adding cucumber makes it thoushe bhakri. Basic ingredients also varies with each household. So its your taste that decides the ingredients going into this dosa!!!

Ingredients: makes 5 dosas
Semolina - 1 cup
grated coconut - ¼cup, fresh or frozen
green chillies - 2
ginger - 1" piece (optional)
coriander powder - 1 tsp
jeera powder - ½tsp
salt to taste

Ingredients:
Pound grated coconut, green chillies, ginger and salt to coarse paste. One can blend this in a blender. Another option is to chop the green chillies and add. Now take semolina in a bowl add the coarse paste and coriander- jeera powder. Add enough water to make a thick batter. Leave aside for 10-15 minutes.
Heat a tawa till moderately hot. Now take a fist full of batter and spread it out with your hands to dosa shape. One can also use ladle to do the same. Cover and cook on medium flame till the rawness disappears. Flip over to the other side and cook till nice and brown. Add ghee/butter while frying. Serve hot with a dollop of butter or have it with sugar or just like that.

5 comments:

SINDHURA said...

Dear Poonam,
Can i have ur mail id please.I just have one small appeal to u.U can send one mail to my id via contact form.
Best regards
SIndhura

Kannada Cuisine said...

This is something really new...never tried this before...I agree whole hearted about tastes changing after marriage! I have numerous such examples myself

Divya Kudua said...

Wow..one of my favorite breakfasts ever..I still have not blogged about it coz even though it comes out tasty,I never seem to get the shape right,plus I dont have the patience to click snaps when I see the piping hot bhakri...yours look quite spongy/soft..love it!!

Ashwini said...

My mom makes it when she is on fasting.. I used to ask a piece from her and usually end up eating the whole thing..Looks yummy

Sunshinemom said...

This sounds good! Must be a similar to rava dosa, I think!